Split Pea Soup
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 meaty hambone or 2 ham hocks or 2 cups diced ham
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
- 1 1/2 qts. hot water
Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired. Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well.
Enjoy this great-tasting split pea soup with freshly baked cornbread or crusty bread.